The department started in the year 2010 with the first intake in January of the same year. Ever since, the department has continually produced competent graduates to the labour market in the nation. Currently the department has a student population of about 200. The department has a total of 13 qualified trainers – 7 of which are TSC employees, 3 are part time lecturers and 3 BOG trainers. The workshops and various offices are located in a storey complex building with enough facilities to offer enough practical skills to the trainee.
The department has well equipped workshops with modern training equipments within a two storey complex building. Some of the workshops available include:
Electrical Installation Workshop
The workshop is well equipped to enable student acquire practical skill through hands on learning. At the back of the workshops are installation cubicles where students do installation during practical lessons.
Solar Installation Workshop
Solar technology has become crucial currently because of its green nature and its renewability. The institution has therefore taken the initiative of imparting the skill to the trainee to enable foster the technology to the community. The electrical department has well equipped workshop to give enough practical to trainees during study.
Electrical Power Workshop
Currently, the department is offering the following courses:
- Diploma in electrical and electronic department module 1, 2 and 3 (DEE I, DEE II and DEE III).
- Craft certificate in electrical and electronics module 1 and 2 (CEE I and CEE II)
- Solar pv installation.
Sigalagala National Polytechnic is also looking forward to introduce the following new courses as from September 2018:
- Higher diploma in electrical engineering (HND)
- Craft certificate in telecommunication (CIT)
- Diploma in telecommunication engineering module 1 (DITE)
- Craft certificate in instrumentation and control (CIC)
- Diploma in instrumentation and control engineering module1 (DICE)
- Solar installation works
- Electrical installation works